Fundamentals of Mortgage Lending
This title is one of the many courses available in the AllRegs Education Package subscription program!
The Fundamentals of Mortgage Lending course offers an overview of concepts and practices that govern mortgage lending institutions. This course presents essential mortgage processes from the lender and borrower perspectives and the factors that create either a successful or risky loan transaction; it is not an all-inclusive course or how-to guide from which to practice mortgage lending.
What will I learn?
Upon completion of the course, students will be able to:
- Describe the mortgage loan origination process
- Explain the impact of mortgage-related laws on the lending process
- List mortgage loan types and products
- Describe the underwriter’s role in the lending process
- Describe the closing and post-closing processes
During the course the following topics will be covered:
- Origination Process
- What is Mortgage Origination?
- Mortgage Brokers and Mortgage Loan Originators
- The Originator’s Role Through the Process
- Locking the Interest Rate
- Other Laws Governing Mortgage Lending
- Mortgage Loan Products and Programs
- Loan Types
- Loan Products
- Fixed-Rate Mortgage (FRM)
- Adjustable Rate Mortgage (ARM)
- Hybrid ARM
- Balloon Mortgage
- Home Equity Lines of Credit
- Reverse Mortgage
- Government-Sponsored Loans
- Underwriting Process
- The Underwriter’s Role
- Underwriting Considerations
- Activity: Calculating Ratios
- Calculating Loan-to-Value (LTV)
- LTV Calculation Example
- Preventing Fraud
- Closing the Loan
- Secondary Market
- Secondary Market Department
- Secondary Market Process
- Mortgage-Backed Securities (MBS)
- Mortgage Loan Servicing
- Servicing the Secondary Market
How it works
Each self-paced, self-study course examines a particular topic, allowing students to hone in on a focused set of learning concepts. Each course is designed with learning objectives, comprehensive course materials, learning reinforcement activities that appeal to various learning styles, real world examples, and, where appropriate, video and/or audio recordings of industry experts.
The final exam is completed online with instant grading, and you can download your industry-recognized certificate of completion after you successfully pass the course. While course completion time varies per student, it will take approximately one hour to complete most courses.
Students have 12 months from the registration date to complete the course. Upon successful completion of the course, students can download their industry-recognized certificate of completion and transcript.
*Restrictions apply. If your staff size exceeds 250, please consider the Enterprise AllRegs Education Package.